The UFO Magazine Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
UFO Magazine Blog
UFO Magazine Blog
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Wow ... no one's been here for years LOL...
Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2023 3:56 pm by onlychild

» Richard Smith on The Sabir Bey Show this Friday
Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 7:55 pm by ufoteacher

» Your support is needed! Nominate Richard Smith today.
Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 1:21 am by ufoteacher

» ARRIVING 9/15/2015 - KINDLE EDITION!
Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 2:10 am by ufoteacher

» Now Available on Amazon! Join the Global Revolution
Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 3:22 pm by ufoteacher

» Now Available! Join the Global Revolution
Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 8:29 pm by ufoteacher

» John Ford UFO Nightmare Report #1
Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 12:51 am by ufoteacher

» New location for the New Mexico UFO and Paranormal Forum
Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 7:54 pm by ufoteacher

» The John Ford UFO Nightmare Premiere Show
Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 5:12 am by ufoteacher

Top posters
onlychild
Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Vote_lcapDolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" I_voting_barDolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Vote_rcap 
Ufofiend
Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Vote_lcapDolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" I_voting_barDolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Vote_rcap 
davefair
glider
Lesley
free wheel
Jeremy Vaeni
mantle1958
jackgbowman
LakehurstNJwitness
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of The UFO Magazine Forum on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of The UFO Magazine Forum on your social bookmarking website
Forum

Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Alfred Lehmberg
CE 1
Alfred Lehmberg

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Empty
PostSubject: Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique"   Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:20 am

Michael R. Schuyler, an essentially bristle-less scion and canted compiler of Para-crat fame, recently penned a portentously piscivorous ("red herring," specifically) piece regarding the work of Richard Dolan. True to form and provenance, it proves to be an excellent example of the noisome negativist laughing up his damp sleeve at that which he allows himself no capacity to understand, no aptitude to accept, no ability to incorporate, and no skill to recognize:

http://www.theparacast.com/images/dolan.pdf

Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Mosesb11 DID I DO THAT?

Dolan answers the intrepid Mr. Schuyler's facile and biased concerns below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Richard Dolan - Reply to Critique of My Work
Hello to the people at Paracast.

I actually published this as a reply to the previous thread on my work, but due to my inexperience at this forum, I didn't realize it would have been better simply to publish this as a new thread. So, sorry for the repetition, but here you are.

Richard Dolan

--------------

Richard Dolan: A Reply to Michael R. Schuyler's Critique of My Work

I suppose I might consider it something of an honor that Michael R. Schuyler has taken it upon himself to write a 15-page critique of my work. I would consider it more so if it were done with a sense of objectivity and professionalism. Unfortunately, in that regard, it misses the mark by a wide margin.

To paraphrase his critique, I might call this “a general systems theory against Richard Dolan.” For although Mr. Schuyler protests that he is confining himself to a critique of my book, he goes far beyond this.

Let me comment on as many specifics as I can, within reason. Early on, Mr. Schuyler criticizes my choice of cases, arguing that they are included with very little discrimination and are little more than rehashing accounts written by others. He cites a case I included from 1984, describing an odd ball of light. Schuyler feels this was an unworthy case, and criticizes my paraphrasing of the MUFON account itself.

Well, in fact, that case was in a section that I titled “Triangles and Balls of Light,” and given in the context of my treatment of the noteworthy Hessdalen phenomenon – which concerned some very strange light phenomena in Norway. The case in question was of interest to me for that reason, and I defend its inclusion in my book. There are, certainly, a number of alternate choices a researcher could have made, and undoubtedly if I were to do the entire book over again, I might well select alternate cases in certain instances. Overall, however, I think my selections are fair and representative. Regarding so-called paraphrasing, Schuyler misrepresents my work. Yes, there are instances where I paraphrased prior descriptions. Throughout, however, I sought to provide the most concise yet complete descriptions I could of every case I handled.

A more serious criticism is Schuyler’s claim of so-called ‘dead-end’ citations. He cites, for example, my use of Greenwood’s and Fawcett’s Clear Intent. He might as well have censored me for using their book at all, as they offer NO proper citations. There are many reproduced documents, certainly, but ... citations? The two authors frequently describe how they obtained their information, but unfortunately did not provide satisfactory source data. That is a problem, for sure.

A researcher is therefore faced with a problem. To use Clear Intent, or not? I elected to use it, as all serious researchers have subsequently done. I find it curious that Schuyler – apparently – would not.

My citations of Richard Hall are misleadingly described by Schuyler. Citations of "Richard Hall" are most typically of the "UFO Evidence," a two-volume collection of reports that Mr. Hall edited. The first volume was published by the organization NICAP, of which Mr. Hall was a long-time leading member, and many of those came directly from NICAP files. He includes these citations as among the so-called “dead end” citations. Really? In what way is using Richard Hall's collection of NICAP records a dead end?

Schuyler writes: “What Dolan has essentially done is summarize sightings reported and summarized by other authors, condensed them a bit, paraphrased the originals (or not, often using the original phrasing verbatim), then woven in some contemporary history surrounded by conspiracy theory. This is a daunting task by itself, but it isn’t exactly original research.”

Well, what I did certainly was a daunting task, I will agree with that. What I tried to do was to create a first-ever history of the period under review (1973-1991). As I should assume Mr. Schuyler would know, no history ever written, certainly not mine, should ever claim to be final. All historical research is a work in progress, mine included. I should hope that other historians of today and the future will correct my work wherever it is needed.

But when Schuyler claims that my work is “not exactly original,” he writes as if I did no independent investigation of these cases. I think that readers have a right to know that this is not true. I conducted direct interviews of dozens of direct participants in this story, often in great detail, frequently obtaining fresh information that existed nowhere else. But the real task was in attempting to consolidate an enormous mass of research into something that made sense – at least, to me. In every case, I had to review cases and events that were of enormous complexity and uncertainty, to find a way to understand them for myself, and to do so in a way that was careful and not sensational – despite Mr. Schuyler’s protestations to the contrary.

For instance, my treatment of several controversial cases: MJ-12, Gulf Breeze, and Bob Lazar. I think it is fair to say that these are among the more contentious and complex. In these and all other instances, my first goal was simply to describe as clearly as possible what actually happened. Sometimes that is difficult enough. Regarding MJ-12, I will quote one of those Amazon reviews that Mr. Schuyler disparages. It is from Brian Parks, someone that serious researchers into MJ-12 certainly do know about:

“A fine example is the way this author has handled the MJ-12 Controversy and related matters. From personal knowledge I can say that Dolan has done an excellent job of presenting these events and personalities in a well summarized form. He accepts the possibility of a very active Counter-Intelligence role in the UFO cover-up while examining this issue. And he presents all of this without jumping to conclusions!”

Well, I suppose Mr. Schuyler does not agree, or maybe he does – he didn’t really comment on my handling of MJ-12. But what I attempted to do with MJ-12, I attempted with every hot-button issue of the period.

Aside from what appear on the surface to be substantial complaints, Mr. Schuyler engages in no small amount of innuendo and even name-calling. Seeing these examples in his critique made me smile, as he complained that it was I who at times engaged in innuendo in the course of my book. But, my goodness, such statements as “to Dolan, there is a conspiracy behind every blade of grass.” Really.

He then (apparently) tries to dismiss the REAL problematic intelligence community connections that do crop up constantly within ufology. Names like John Lear, J. Allen Hynek, Gene Pope, Phillip Klass, Bill Moore, Charles Berlitz. Well, sorry, but these are problematic and do need to be discussed. The fact that Charles Berlitz’s NYT obituary mentioned his decades of work with the Counter Intelligence Corp (CIC) is something I find interesting. Perhaps others do not, and that is their prerogative.

Regarding Klass, I truly wonder what it is that Schuyler is unhappy about. I was the person who found direct evidence of Klass’s underhanded dealings while researching in the Canadian National Archives in Ottawa. I offered the opinion – clearly stated as such – that “the ducks certainly appear to be lining up” in the matter of Klass’s possible work for the U.S. intelligence community.

Regarding Gene Pope and the National Enquirer – something Schuyler spends a great deal of energy discussing – I will agree that there is much more detailed work that is out there. I certainly did rely on Terry Hansen’s work – and several conversations with Terry as well – for my primary ‘take’ on Gene Pope. To me, it does look like Pope worked for U.S. intelligence. At no point, however, do I state definitively that he worked for the CIA. Pope was a man who rubbed elbows with America’s political elite. He was friends with Richard Nixon. Former Secretary of Defense Melvin Laird gave the eulogy at his funeral. There is good reason to wonder about Pope’s agenda, and I raise my concerns. I think it is very clear that the reader understands that I do not make the claim definitively. When dealing with the U.S. intelligence community, unfortunately we are seldom in a position to make definitive statements.

This is why, in fact, most academicians do not touch UFOs. Getting to government source material is extremely difficult. One simply cannot plough through old volumes of collections like Foreign Relations of the United States (FRUS) – which contains a wealth of first hand U.S. State Department records. It’s an unfortunate situation indeed, and in fact this is one of the problems when one is dealing with a cover-up – a point that Mr. Schuyler blithely ignores.

Which means that source material is often going to include information that does not come out of a government archive. I am quite aware that I took a chance on some of the sources included in my book, although Mr. Schuyler grossly misrepresents this aspect of my research. For instance, he cites Sean David Morton. To which I reply – you have got to be kidding me. Morton appears one single time in my book. He was one of several UFO watchers who was involved in publicizing events at Area 51/S4. I obtained his testimony from an interview he gave, featured on a video produced in the early 1990s. I spent exactly one paragraph describing his experience.

Then there is Steven Greer. Once again, Mr. Schuyler seems willfully incapable of understanding my treatment of Greer as a “source.” His fixation on this smacks of no small amount of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and I have seriously begun to wonder whether he is afflicted. I used several testimonies from Steven Greer’s collection, which Greer published under the title of “Disclosure.” Dr. Greer did not write any of those testimonies. I was very clear on this, and no other reader has been incapable of recognizing the distinction between the words of Dr. Greer and those of someone he interviewed. Notwithstanding this, in the few cases that I used testimony from that collection, I presented it with clear qualifications that it was not verified.

There is more I could deal with regarding Mr. Schuyler’s critique, but it just goes on like this. Still, I will say a word or two about Linda Moulton Howe, someone that he goes out of his way more than once to insult. He refers to her as “the Drone Queen” and seems to imply that she is part of “the lunatic fringe.” At one point Mr. Schuyler discusses researchers who have made great contributions to ufology, and those who have contributed nothing. He then states that those who have contributed nothing are in little position to attack those who have contributed. Well, I think this reasoning is weak. But one might use his logic against him in his schoolyard smearing of Linda Moulton Howe, a person who for over three decades has done some of the most demanding investigations of any researcher out there. Any one who does that much work is going to make mistakes. Her contributions, however, have been formidable. What, exactly, have been Mr. Schuyler’s contributions?

Schuyler also seems to complain that I don’t discuss the aliens themselves. Odd, since elsewhere he complains that I draw too many unjustified conclusions. One wonders what would make him happy.

Finally, there are the previous critics of my work. It is perfectly fair to bring these up. Other commentators are entitled to their opinions. Of course, I am allowed to take issue with them! Richard Hall, who wrote the first negative review of my book, was actually “offended” (his words) by how I criticized the Central Intelligence Agency and discussed people like James Forrestal and James McDonald. Mr. Hall, now deceased, was typically described by those who knew him as a “curmudgeon” (I heard this more than once). He did not like my politics, such as they were, and did not like how I wrote about him personally. I did, incidentally, write an extended reply to his review, which was published in the IUR. Dr. Swords, in his turn, borrowed very heavily from Richard Hall, almost to the point of being derivative. Fair enough, that is his choice. The people at Magonia – well, if Mr. Schuyler wants to focus on them as doing the kind of research that he thinks we need, what more can I say?

I am happy to receive any corrections and constructive criticism of my work. That is the only way any of us learns and grows. For the record, I do know that an E-4 is a Corporal, and I thank Mr. Schuyler for pointing out that I made that oversight. It is unfortunate, however, that his critique descends so frequently to name-calling, insults, innuendo, and even smear tactics. That is not true criticism. Sadly, however, it is an all-too-typical tactic taken by certain people. Those who engage in it, as Mr. Schuyler does, diminish their own reputability.

Nevertheless, I certainly would encourage Mr. Schuyler to try his hand at writing an alternative history. Clearly, he is up to the job. I for one would appreciate his contributions to the field, provided that they are made with a serious tone, and not mere name-calling.

Richard M. Dolan
Rochester, New York
February 1, 2010

Last edited by Alfred Lehmberg on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lesley
Admin
Lesley

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique"   Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 6:39 am

Gotta love the way Schuyler didn't even bother to explain or answer any of the misrepresentations that Rich points out, but instead adds Dick Hall's review -- like that somehow proves his point.Rolling Eyes Well, not that I even consider what Schuyler wrote to be a review. How he has the nerve to call it a "peer review" I will never know. Peer reviews, at least the ones I have read, are normally done by professional adults that don't need to resort to vicious name calling to try to prove their point. His opinion, I suppose, but not an unbiased or peer review. It is obvious from earlier comments at that forum that he never liked Dolan, so his prejudice was clear even before his opinion piece.
Back to top Go down
http://thedebrisfield.blogspot.com
Alfred Lehmberg
CE 1
Alfred Lehmberg

PostSubject: Re: Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique"   Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 10:59 am

"Peer Review..."? Bwaaahahaha... No, "Rear-end spew..." ...And an ax-grinding one at that... in my opinion, of course.

Hall? Hall was a giant to be sure, but he was a believer in his own right. He believed in the perfection of a system that ultimately betrayed him, impoverished him, and then shined him on with a lying smirk to the end of his days. Ironic when the exact same thing had happened to his mentor Dr. James E. McDonald... except that McDonald was driven to suicide — if that's what it was. Hall might have seen it coming, eh?

alienview@roadrunner.com
> www.AlienView.net
>> AVG Blog -- http://alienviewgroup.blogspot.com/
>>> U F O M a g a z i n e -- www.ufomag.com

Last edited by Alfred Lehmberg on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lancemoody

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Astonishing bias on parade here...   Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Dolan writes:

"It is unfortunate, however, that his critique descends so frequently to name-calling, insults, innuendo, and even smear tactics."

No it doesn't. And you making that claim underlines the way things work in this supremely silly field: when you don't have the facts, make something up.

From my perspective Dolan is same as all of the other "respected" "researchers": despite various veneers from behind which they present their work, the truth is that they have already made their minds up, in what amounts to a religion, and any "facts" they cobble together for their books or lectures or internet forums are already subject to selection bias and believer blindness.

I suppose it does hurt when someone calls you on it, though.

Lance Moody
notaghost.com
Back to top Go down
Alfred Lehmberg
CE 1
Alfred Lehmberg

PostSubject: Re: Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique"   Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 3:57 pm

lancemoody wrote:
Dolan writes:

"It is unfortunate, however, that his critique descends so frequently to name-calling, insults, innuendo, and even smear tactics."

No it doesn't. And you making that claim underlines the way things work in this supremely silly field: when you don't have the facts, make something up.

From my perspective Dolan is same as all of the other "respected" "researchers": despite various veneers from behind which they present their work, the truth is that they have already made their minds up, in what amounts to a religion, and any "facts" they cobble together for their books or lectures or internet forums are already subject to selection bias and believer blindness.

Lance Moody
notaghost.com

Called on what, Sir? Name-calling and fearful axgrinding don't remotely constitute a "call." Said "critique" at the top of this thread failed to make its case and then, correspondingly, failed to answer any single point on the rebuttal Dolan very thoughtfully provided in turn. Schuyler's a lotta air... to be kind.

I submit your concern is facilitated by your own "bias" and "believer blindness," Sir.

Respectfully, moreover, I offer that your snide position is as ill founded as it is uninformed. Forgetting similar work by Feschino, Friedman, and Hastings et sig al, persons and data followers who maintain earned reputations over many decades —these persons do not "cobble" anywhere but a in detractor's fulsome imagination and inordinate pique— Dolan stands among them as a peer who does the braver thing... where his detractors are a dime a coward's dozen... in my opinion... of course.

Hey! I'm sorry you don't have the answer in your pocket, but an acceleration progresses and a concrescence looms, eh? [g].

...Now kneel before Dolan and swear to him your soul as we supporters have in our bloody oaths and arcane lexicons...

...Just kidding about that last part, eh? That's for the "paracrats" and their "paracratic revolution." Though genuinely, in an examination of both camps, where the arguments of each camp are weighed and sifted honestly, which shows more depth? Which proves to be more inclusive? Which demonstrates more intellectual bravery? Which uses more science of best practice? Which is more consistent, reliable, and dependable?

Contrarily, which one uses mockery, ad hominem, character assassination, intellectual fallacy, and obfuscation? Which is the dimensionless and dogmatic ideologue, and which is the inspired idealist? Which hounds and which is hounded?

Further, which is deliberately abusive and which is sarcastically accusative? Which won't address the points already made, and which will concede the point well made? Which one follows the data and which one cherry-picks it? Who is playing an instrument in the parade and who slings crap from the alley?

You have reasons,I'm sure, for feeling the way you do, Mr Moody. I submit these reasons may be invalid, irrelevant, nondefined, and unbrave.

alienview@roadrunner.com
> www.AlienView.net

Last edited by Alfred Lehmberg on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lesley
Admin
Lesley

PostSubject: Re: Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique"   Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 6:40 pm

lancemoody wrote:
Dolan writes:

Lance Moody
notaghost.com

I have read both of Rich's books, he cites events, documents and so on, but never does he say his conclusions are any more than his opinion. He does not tell anyone that his opinions are the only answer or the answer.

In ufology you have to cobble together whatever is available because there is no REAL undisputed evidence that will give you a definite answer.

As for someone that had their mind made up - I read Schuyler's previous posts about Dolan and it is obvious that his mind was already made up.

The title alone was needless name calling. However, it isn't so much the childish name calling that bothers me, it is that he thinks people will see this as a real unbiased review. Well, not that I really have to worry about that. Most will see it for what it is and I doubt most will read beyond the title.
Back to top Go down
Alfred Lehmberg
CE 1
Alfred Lehmberg

PostSubject: Re: Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique"   Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 7:53 pm

So... ahhhhh.... what'cha wearin' to the Dolan worship services tonight?

I'm wearing my Foil Hat ensemble with "close encounter" flashing-light device. Additionally, I'll be sporting a glow-in-the-dark-kilt —worn commando style— plus fetching army boots accessorized with puff-ball accouterments, though sans the argyle heater-socks. It's gotten a little warmer.

A Conservative blazer and Bill Nye commemorative bow tie will frame all that modestly, I think. I don't want to stand out...

alienview@roadrunner.com
> www.AlienView.net

Last edited by Alfred Lehmberg on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lesley
Admin
Lesley

PostSubject: Re: Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique"   Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 8:16 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You know us ladies don't wear clothing, just day-glo paint and our bejeweled and glittery tin foil crowns.
Back to top Go down
Alfred Lehmberg
CE 1
Alfred Lehmberg

PostSubject: Re: Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique"   Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 8:36 pm

That's right, that's right... ever modest, demure — even aristocratic...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique"   Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dolan's Measured Response to Schuyler's "Critique"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The UFO Magazine Forum :: Aliens & UFOs :: In the news-
Jump to: