The UFO Magazine Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Similar topics
UFO Magazine Blog
UFO Magazine Blog
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Wow ... no one's been here for years LOL...
Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2023 3:56 pm by onlychild

» Richard Smith on The Sabir Bey Show this Friday
Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 7:55 pm by ufoteacher

» Your support is needed! Nominate Richard Smith today.
Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 1:21 am by ufoteacher

» ARRIVING 9/15/2015 - KINDLE EDITION!
Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 2:10 am by ufoteacher

» Now Available on Amazon! Join the Global Revolution
Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 3:22 pm by ufoteacher

» Now Available! Join the Global Revolution
Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 8:29 pm by ufoteacher

» John Ford UFO Nightmare Report #1
Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 12:51 am by ufoteacher

» New location for the New Mexico UFO and Paranormal Forum
Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 7:54 pm by ufoteacher

» The John Ford UFO Nightmare Premiere Show
Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 5:12 am by ufoteacher

Top posters
onlychild
Mars base spotted and of course denied... Vote_lcapMars base spotted and of course denied... I_voting_barMars base spotted and of course denied... Vote_rcap 
Ufofiend
Mars base spotted and of course denied... Vote_lcapMars base spotted and of course denied... I_voting_barMars base spotted and of course denied... Vote_rcap 
davefair
glider
Lesley
free wheel
Jeremy Vaeni
mantle1958
jackgbowman
LakehurstNJwitness
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of The UFO Magazine Forum on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of The UFO Magazine Forum on your social bookmarking website
Forum

Mars base spotted and of course denied...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jackgbowman
CE 2

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Mars base spotted and of course denied... Empty
PostSubject: Mars base spotted and of course denied...   Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 5:24 pm

From Space .com
"Did an Amateur Astronomer Spot a Secret Mars Base?
– 49 mins ago
A self-described "armchair astronaut" claims to have identified a human (or alien) base on Mars. David Martines noticed a mysterious rectangular structure that appears to be on the Red Planet's surface while trolling the planetary surface using Google Mars, a new map program created from compiled satellite images of the planet.

"This is a video of something I discovered on Google Mars quite by accident," said Martines, the armchair astronaut, in a now-viral YouTube video. "I call it Bio Station Alpha, because I'm just assuming that something lives in it or has lived in it."

He zooms in the surface anomaly — a long, pixelated, white object — and lists the coordinates as 49'19.73"N 29 33'06.53"W. "It's over 700 feet long and 150 feet wide. It looks like it's a cylinder or made up of cylinders," he says.

Has Martines really found evidence of alien life, or a secret space base, as he and some media sources are claiming? No, say experts: "Bio Station Alpha" is simply a glitch in the image caused by cosmic energy interfering with the camera.

"It looks like a linear streak artifact produced by a cosmic ray," said Alfred McEwen, a planetary geologist at the Lunar and Planetary Lab at the University of Arizona and the director of the Planetary Imaging Research Laboratory. McEwen is the principal investigator of the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE), a powerful telescope currently orbiting Mars.

Cosmic rays are extremely energetic particles emitted by the sun and other stars. For the most part, the Earth's protective magnetosphere blocks them from hitting the planet's surface, McEwen explained. "But with space images that are taken outside our magnetosphere, such as those taken by orbiting telescopes, it's very common to see these cosmic ray hits. You see them on optical images and a lot of the infrared images too," he told Life's Little Mysteries. [Read: Why Do Photos from Deep Space Take So Long to Get to Earth?]

As a cosmic ray passes through a camera's image sensor, it deposits a large amount of its electric charge in the pixels that it penetrates. If the particle passes through at a shallow angle to the plane of the camera, it affects several pixels along its path. The result is a bright streak on the image.

The digital compression software that converts the image into a JPEG file then "sort of smears out the image, giving it that pixelated look," McEwen said. What started as a clear streak in high-resolution turns into a streak that, in the armchair astronaut's words, looks like it is "made up of cylinders."

McEwen said that the cosmic ray streak would be much easier to recognize in the raw, pre-compressed image, but many orbiters and telescopes have contributed imagery to create the Mars map, and Google doesn't identify the source image.

"I can't tell whether this image was taken by Viking or what," McEwen said. "The people at Google need to document what the heck they're doing. They should be able to identify what the source of their information is, and let people know so they can go back and look at the raw data.""

Back to top Go down
onlychild
Keyholder for Area 51
onlychild

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Mars base spotted and of course denied...   Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 10:49 am

Back to top Go down
Jeremy Vaeni
CE 2
Jeremy Vaeni

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Mars base spotted and of course denied...   Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 1:27 am

It's a camera artifact. I know this from photo video analyst Jeff Ritzmann and NASA's own Wes Owsley. Sorry, folks. It looked pretty good to me, too, until I had it explained, which would take too long to post here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paratopia.net
onlychild
Keyholder for Area 51
onlychild

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Mars base spotted and of course denied...   Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 8:57 am

Jeremy Vaeni wrote:
It's a camera artifact. I know this from photo video analyst Jeff Ritzmann and NASA's own Wes Owsley. Sorry, folks. It looked pretty good to me, too, until I had it explained, which would take too long to post here.

You could at least give the "readers digest version."
Back to top Go down
Jeremy Vaeni
CE 2
Jeremy Vaeni

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Mars base spotted and of course denied...   Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Sorry. I should have said "terrain pixelation," not "camera artifact." If I remember correctly, it's easy to tell because the outline of the pixilation lines up perfectly with the scan lines in the pic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paratopia.net
Lmonske
Seeker

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2012-05-23

PostSubject: Pixelation of terrain   Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 7:38 pm

Jeremy Vaeni wrote:

Youre right on the pixelation issue on early mars pictures if you want an up to date map download google mars taken by the mars reconnasance orbiter. None of that type of pixelation is there. Mars is long dead and never had enough tume for life to evole.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mars base spotted and of course denied...   Mars base spotted and of course denied... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mars base spotted and of course denied...
Page 1 of 1